SNC Announces Inaugural Women in STEM Scholarship Recipients
SPARKS, Nev., March 28, 2022 – Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), the global aerospace and national security company owned by Eren and Fatih Ozmen, announced the five recipients of its inaugural Women in STEM scholarship program for women pursuing careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
“We are thrilled to be able to offer a $7,500 scholarship to each of our five recipients,” said Dawn Jacobs, executive sponsor of the SNC Women’s Employee Resource Group (ERG). “It is critical that we support women pursuing careers in STEM and I know each of our winners will make significant contributions in the field.”
2022 Scholarship Recipients:
- Sonya Eason of Huntsville, North Carolina who will study Electrical Engineering at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Cesarine Graham of Daytona Beach, Florida who will study Astronomy and Astrophysics at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University at Daytona Beach
- Cellestine Harig of Deerfield, Illinois who will study Mathematics and Economics at University of Chicago
- Riya Patel of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee who will study Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology
- Rory Oden of Muncy, Pennsylvania who will study Environmental Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University
This scholarship program is designed to encourage women to pursue careers in currently underrepresented industries and follow their dreams.
“STEM is truly rigorous, but there is no satisfaction greater than working through its challenges,” said scholarship recipient Sonya Eason. “Whether I'm figuring out the runtime error in my code or determining how I can reach thermodynamic equilibrium, I grow as both a determined worker and an intellectual by pursuing STEM.”
More than 500 women applied for the scholarship in 2021.
SNC partnered with Scholarship America, the nation’s largest nonprofit, private scholarship organization to administer the scholarship. The next application window for the SNC Women in STEM scholarship will open in December 2022.
For more information, visit www.sncorp.com.
About Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC)
SNC is a trusted leader in innovative, advanced technology solutions and open architecture integrations in aerospace and national security. Best known for its unique mission applications, SNC creates customized solutions for the world’s most pressing technology challenges in the fields of aviation, national security space, electronic warfare, command and control, mission systems and inline cybersecurity. SNC is owned by Chairwoman and President Eren Ozmen and CEO Fatih Ozmen, and is once again recognized as a US Best Managed Company by Deloitte Private. In spring 2021, SNC announced the transition of its Space Systems business area to an independent commercial space company, Sierra Space.